Saturday, April 23, 2016

Cobus Potgieter - Avenged Sevenfold - Critical Acclaim (Drums Only Version)


Another stripped down cover from the brilliant Cobus Potgieter with Avenged Sevenfold drums cover.



By Cobus Potgieter

This is the drums-only version of this cover

I got access to the drumless version of this track, which gave me so much more freedom with the mix. Also used a deeper and lower-tuned snare for this one (Neil Peart's Snake & Arrows snare) which I think sounds absolutely immense. Very proud of the way this mix turned out!

Just a quick note on the mix, because I think many may be thinking this: yes, the mix is incredibly aggressive and also over-compressed. Hearing the drum mix by itself will actually give you a very good idea what it takes to mix an additional layer of drums (mine!) into an existing and, essentially, finished song:

Kick, snare and toms, are LOUD and especially articulate. The mix is also very bright. This coupled with a slight high-pass filter on the track underneath immediately makes my drums pop out more, and without this approach my drum mix would be drowned out by the already loudly mastered version of the original track. My goal is to get the track underneath as loud as possible (for full immersion) while still hearing every note I am playing on the drums. Tricky balance, and very subjective!

Stoked to make these drums-only mixes and videos available to you guys! It should make some things a bit clearer.


And below is the drum cover with the song music:



No comments:

Post a Comment